Want to know how to write a musical? Or improve your skills for musical writing? These resources provide training for musical theatre writers and will prove invaluable to your growth.
- WritingMusicalTheatre.com: WritingMusicalTheatre.com is owned and operated by the top faculty at the Academy for New Musical Theatre. They have nurtured nearly 2000 musicals over the years. They work out of New Musicals Inc. in Los Angeles, developing musicals for producers, nurturing musical theatre writers and their careers, running musical theatre festivals, workshops, seminars, and conferences. www.writingmusicaltheatre.com
- Primary Stages Einhorn School of Performing Arts (ESPA) – Writing for Stage: ESPA is a multidisciplinary school in New York City with departments in acting, writing, and directing. ESPA has developed writers whose work has won awards and received workshops and productions… primarystages.org/espa
- BMI – Musical Theatre Workshop: BMI offers a workshop in NYC and their site includes informative material for writers. www.bmi.com/musicaltheatre
- ASCAP for Musical Writers: ASCAP’s musical theatre pages include career development info, news, workshop info, etc.
- Broadway Backstory: Broadway Backstory is a documentary style podcast from TodayTix and Theater People that explores how a show develops from an idea to a full Broadway production.
- The Broadway Cast: Ben Cameron hosts a weekly talk show featuring three panelists who discuss their lives in theater. Guests include actors, playwrights, composers, directors, choreographers, musicians, and designers.
- The Producer’s Perspective with Ken Davenport: Tony Award Winning Broadway Producer Ken Davenport interviews a Broadway industry professional to get their perspective on The Great White Way.
- Storybeat with Steve Cuden: StoryBeat is a lively podcast dedicated to a variety of storytellers discussing their unique process in creating art through storytelling. By listening to how successful creators develop and bring their work to life, writers and artists of all kinds are able to find great inspiration. StoryBeat focuses more on the “how” and “why” of creation rather than finished results, providing insight into the working world of storytellers and storytelling in all forms of artistic expression.
- Theater People Podcast: Features interviews with Tony winners, Broadway legends and today’s brightest theatre stars, hosted by Patrick Hinds.
- Theory: SONGWRITING SIMPLIFIED: Music Theory, Melody & Creativity
- Lyrics: Tap Your Songwriting Creativity – Lyric Writing
- Character Development: Screenwriting & Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- Story Structure: The Foundations of Fiction (Writing Mastery)
Script Writing Software
- Final Draft: How to Write a Great Script with Final Draft 10 (Udemy)
Music Notation Software
- Finale: Write Your First Piece of Music In 14 Steps Finale Edition! (Udemy)
- Sibelius: Learn the basics of Sibelius 7.5 (Udemy)
Music Production Software
- Pro Tools
- Logic Pro
Where to get software