MusicalWriters Academy Reading Series
The MusicalWriters Academy serves musical theatre writers in all phases of writing by providing a safe place that fosters acceptance, progresses development, maintains privacy and facilitates collaboration. The Academy is a space for like-minded creatives to connect through opportunities that can yield solutions to problems and encourage a “pay-it-forward” mentality through shared knowledge and experiences is writing, development, and producing.
The Academy Reading Series provides free, live and in-person readings for Academy member musicals selected through periodic Pitch Nights. After submitting, writers will be selected to pitch their musical to our MusicalWriters team on a public and live virtual platform. Think “Shark Tank” for new musicals! One show will be selected for a free semi-staged reading produced and directed by Rebecca Lowrey.
WAIT! Before you submit—check out the article “Is my show ready for a reading?” with MusicalWriters CEO and Producing Director Rebecca Lowrey.
- You must be an Academy Member
- Submit all required materials (see below) by the submission deadline.
- Selected submissions will pitch their show on a live Pitch Night.
- The selected show will submit final script and score (integrated if possible) for reading.
- Writers will need to be available to communicate with the Academy Readings Series team as needed to prep/finalize.
- The staged reading is completely free to the writer, including director, actors, musicians, and rehearsal and performance space.*
- Writers are invited to the reading but are responsible for travel and accommodations.
Please have these files ready to upload in PDF format through the form below.
- Full Script (properly formatted) with Cover Sheet (include contact information) – including Character List with character descriptions and vocal ranges
- 1 Page Synopsis
- Piano/Vocal Score
You will also need:
- Production History and Writer/Collaborator Bios
- Short (200 word) description of your show
- Links to 3-5 demo recordings
*The actors, musicians, rehearsal space and performance location are selected by and are at the sole discretion of the MusicalWriters Producing Director. If special requests are made regarding any of these, extra costs may be incurred and are the responsibility of the writers.
Next Submission Deadline: Monday, October 2, 2023*
*Must be an active Academy member to submit