Update December 2021: Pace University has indefinitely suspended their New Musicals program.
Pace New Musicals’ mission is to nurture the development of new musicals by student, emerging, and established musical theater writers in a safe and encouraging academic environment.
Pace believes that the development of new work is both necessary and pedagogically aligned with training of the next generation of musical theater artists. Their location in New York City provides access to some of the best musical theater creators in the world. Pace New Musicals is a thrilling and mutually beneficial artistic and academic experience for both writer and student.
The chosen musical will be provided a professionally directed, semi/fully staged with “book in hand” workshop using the talent of the Pace University BFA Musical Theater program.
Notable Pace New Musicals Alumni
Pace New Musicals is looking for completed works that have had at least one step of previous development. All musical and dramatic styles welcome. Pace New Musicals will provide the space, actors, stage manager, and design support. Please note in your submission if there is a director and/or music director attached to the project.
Pace typically receives submissions during the month of October.
Email [email protected] with the following requirements:
- A brief synopsis as a single PDF document. – including time period and number of scene locations.
- A detailed character breakdown as a single PDF document. – including vocal parts, casting requirements, etc.
- A complete piano-vocal of your score as a single PDF document.
- A complete script/libretto as a single PDF document.
- Audio or video recordings of 3-5 songs that show variety and range of the score. Please send 3-5 songs only.
- Contact information for each composer, lyricist & book writer.
- Details on previous stages of development.
- Please note if there is a director, choreographer or music director attached.
- Please include copyright clearances if they are necessary. Works will not be considered without these.
- If the piece is currently under option, please submit a letter from the option holder giving permission for entry.
- Writers should be available for auditions and the rehearsal process if possible.
Getting ready to submit? Be sure to read “5 Tips for Emailing Musical Submissions” here.