The MFA Musical Theater Program and the New Musicals Initiative At San Diego State University is committed to the creation of new works of musical theatre. Our objective is to nurture the creation of new musical theater in San Diego and to provide an invaluable educational opportunity to our students to work directly with top professionals in the field.
The MFA Musical Theater Program at San Diego State University is one of only two terminal degree programs in Musical Theatre in the United States. It started in 1983 with six graduate students and has grown to a program with world-wide impact with over one hundred and fifty graduates. This program is preparing the next generation of musical theatre performers, directors, music directors, choreographers and educators.
Current MFA students will rehearse and develop a new work of musical theatre under the guidance of faculty director Stephen Brotebeck and faculty music director (and Head of MFA Program) Robert Meffe. Brotebeck and Meffe have years of Broadway experience developing new musical works for the stage including shows such as Peter and the Starcatcher, Ghost and Little Women. Our plan is to collaborate with a creative team on a two-year process from staged reading to workshop to full production. We are looking for completed scores and scripts from a team that is interested in developing their work in conjunction with our graduate students. Because the School of Theatre, Television and Film is setting its sights on 50/50 by 2020, meaning that we are aspiring to have authors in our season equally represented amongst men and women, we are especially interested in creative teams that feature women authors.
What we are looking for
- A new book musical with at least eight named characters; a cast of 8-10 would be preferable
- Preference is given to women authors
- A creative team that is open to feedback and the collaborative process
- Staged reading at SDSU in the Fall of 2020
- Workshop production at SDSU in the Spring of 2021
- Full production at SDSU in the Spring of 2022
PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING
- Audio files of three songs with sheet music (lead sheets are acceptable)
- A brief synopsis of the musical (one page is plenty)
- A character breakdown including age, sex, approximate vocal part and a short description of each character.
SEND YOUR PACKAGE ELECTRONICALLY BY FEBRUARY 15, 2019 TO: Robert Meffe: [email protected]
- Please submit 3 songs only. If you send us a full recording, we will only listen to the first 3 songs. Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio.
- We are looking for talent and potential, not how well something is produced.
- Please include copyright clearances if they are necessary. Works cannot be considered without these.
- If the piece is currently under option, please submit a letter from the option holder giving permission for entry.
Need help with submissions?
Send us a message on our Support Services page (select “Submission Guidance”). Our MusicalWriters.com staff can help get your submission package looking professional (it matters!).